NTN Logo
REVOLUTION IN MOTION™

Bower

The Bower brand began in 1904, when R. F. Bower’s new thrust controlling roller bearing proved extremely successful at preventing horse-drawn carriages from losing wheels during high-speed turns. The new bearing product drew the attention of several businessmen, who then organized the Bower Roller Bearing Company in Dayton, Ohio in 1907.

The Bower Roller Bearing Company opened a Detroit factory in 1911 to meet the growing needs of the automobile industry. The company grew as rapidly as the industry did, attracting the area’s most skilled engineers and technicians. Production of the popular tapered roller bearing was added in 1926. Based on the success of the improved tapered roller bearings, many customers requested that cylindrical roller bearings also be added to the line. In response, the company began production of cylindrical roller bearings in 1934.

Bower Roller Bearing Company merged with long-time merchandising partner Federal-Mogul Corporation in 1955. In the two decades following the merger, manufacturing plants were constructed in Illinois and Alabama to better meet the demands of the Midwest markets.

In 1985, Federal-Mogul Corporation entered into an agreement with NTN to form the NTN-Bower Corporation. In 1987, NTN acquired 100% ownership of the company and, in 1993, the Corporate Headquarters of NTN-Bower Corporation was moved from Bingham Farms, Michigan to Macomb, Illinois.



Today, NTN-Bower Corporation is one of the largest manufacturers of precision roller bearings in North America. With a primary focus on serving the transportation, construction, and agricultural implement markets, the company also caters to other industrial customers who need premium-quality, precision bearings. In addition, the company continues to expand and improve its product lines to include fan housings, HUB and HUR units, mass weights, and other bearing related products.